Anxiety Over Dated Code

Too much to do and little time to do it, seems to be my everyday existence. The kids are growing, so is the amount of traffic and projects are mounting up at an alarming rate. The blog has taken a back seat and so has my clay modeling website but I will have to try and get some of it done. I had noticed that all the posts had disappeared, I was at an impasse, what had happened. I at first could not work out what had gone wrong, and knowing I was running out of date WordPress script with an outdated theme didn’t help.

My first job was to update to the latest code and theme to see if this would resolve the problem, still no luck, did I install the code properly had I missed some of the script? OK, uninstall and redo, still no luck. This is where I have to start searching the internet and the WordPress forum to find out if other people were having the same issue.

This is getting frustrating, I’m going around in circles, there must be something that I’m missing that is so obvious. I’m still searching and then a thread comes up about checking PhpMyAdmin Database Tables. This is a little beyond my comfort zone but if there are no posts to view, what’s the point of the blog, so I’m going to give it a go. I log in to the site and select my database. Up it pops and I notice in the posts table that it shows “Posts are being edited” not the normal block of options that the other tables have. What does this mean? What do I have to do?

With further reading it suggested to tick the box for wp_posts which highlights that table, a box below all the tables is select-able. Within that box I selected repair table and this automatically fixed the issue popping up a “Your SQL query has been executed successfully.” I logged out and refreshed the blog and all was up and running again, I have no idea what would cause this to happen, did malicious code bypass my outdated code, more than likely. This will ensure that I keep up-to-date in future and minimize the downtime.

I’m relieved that I was able to fix the issue but it was a valuable lesson learned, keep your code up to date. This is not a case of, “If its not broken, don’t fix it.” The next time I may not be so fortunate!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>